- 1/4 cup finely chopped English hothouse or Persian cucumber
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled ginger
- 8-ounce flank steak
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 16 small crunchy inner leaves of butter lettuce, romaine, or endive
- 2 tablespoons chopped salted roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint leaves
- Asian sweet chili sauce
- Combine first four ingredients in a medium bowl. Season to taste with kosher salt and set aside.
- Heat a grill pan or a lightly oiled cast-iron skillet over high heat. Season steak with salt and chili powder. Grill steak, turning once, until charred on both sides, about 8 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Arrange butter lettuce, romaine, or endive on a large platter. Thinly slice steak against the grain, then cut slices crosswise into 1-inch pieces. Add steak to cucumber mixture and toss to mix. Season to taste with salt and more lime juice, if desired.
- Divide steak salad mixture among lettuce cups; garnish with peanuts and mint leaves. Drizzle with Asian sweet chili sauce.